Sunday, May 5, 2013

Do Good Design

Good Citizenship The article “Design Citizenship” by Katherine McCoy brought to light something I had never considered before. I have been drawing, painting, doodling, and designing for a long time it had always been my designs and views. While I do often play with the idea of imagination and the sadness that when we grow older we tend to lose our ability to play and dream, it is my idea and not one of a client. What will I do when approached with a project that goes against my morals? What if a client wants something that goes against my opinions? Even though I interned for a company in New York, it wasn’t a company producing posters or promotional works. It was designing ornaments for Christopher Radko. And even looking at school, though the assignments weren’t something I would want to do, the designs were still my own designs and ideas based off of an outline.

 McCoy talks about socially conscious work vs. creating commercially profitable work. I find myself at a crossroads and feel that each circumstance will call for me to do something dependent on the issue. If approached with a product or company design that has no social or political impact I feel that I would do what the client asks even if it goes against my opinions of the design. To me if the client doesn’t want to take my advise on good design, then they can have what they want. However I believe that if approached by a client who wants me to design something I am morally opposed to, like promoting Camels on a new friendly way, I would have to politely tell them that I think I am not the right person for their job. It would be mean that I as an individual don’t feel right and would not please the client nor myself as a designer. If I am designing something I full heartily believe in then my effort and willingness to help and collaborate will pay off more for both ends. As well as promote the change in my mind set as a designer to have a voice and participate in this promotion.





 


No comments:

Post a Comment