Monday, May 6, 2013

Taller Tupac Amaru collective


Hearing all of the unique stories of the Taller Tupac Amaru collective was an exciting and interesting session. When I first saw and viewed their prints in the Thatcher gallery I had a hard time believing that these were simple screen prints made on cloth and paper. Their diverse colors and styles really spoke to their cause as well draw the eye. Their poster prints speak volumes without words about the struggle of identity and equality. This was interesting to me because this year has been an eye opener to me in way I thought I already was aware of.
            Being from a small town in Idaho, while I was raised with different environment and ability to venture the wilderness, we did not have much diversity within the community. Even my first three years in college were spend with similar types of individuals. Then recently I started seeing someone who was from Costa Rica and lived in the mission. After a few short months with him I became aware of how different our lives were growing up and the differences that come from growing up in different places. Even though we were both from small communities, the fact that I lived in a ski resort is such a difference form the small town he originated from. As I spent more time down there I caught onto the struggle that happens at the schools, and even the communities.
            It was great to see individuals with no art background ban together and develop skills to produce such strong pieces of art, as well as interact with the community and groups who they support. I found it especially interesting how though making one screen print and posting it on line it managed to make its way across the world and speak volumes for rights in Egypt. This really showed me that the power of art and expression can go vast distances, as well as inspire people to create beautiful piece in a time of need drawn from emotion.
            Hearing the presenters speak was like hearing a great adventure story or fairy tail, the different backgrounds which they all are from, the inspiration Melanie drew from her family and mother, as well as the awareness of society around them, their community. All of their unique stories contribute to the fascinating production and collection of Taller Tupac Amaru.  As well as help to develop and impact on the collective as well as the individual, many can relate on some level, be it sexual identity, or racial, or even the individuals self struggle. Emotion and struggle are necessary ingredients to create strength and motivation for action and reaction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment